Interesting facts about Qeshm Island
Qeshm Island is the largest island in Iran and is located in the Persian Gulf. In this article, we will discuss some interesting facts about Qeshm.
Qeshm Island is the largest island in the waters of the Persian Gulf, which belongs to Hormozgan province. We have always heard a lot about the unique beauties and features of this island. The island's countless attractions have made Qeshm one of the most important tourist destinations in Iran.
We draw your attention to the interesting points of this legendary land.
1. Qeshm is the largest island in the Persian Gulf, located in the Strait of Hormuz and has long belonged to Iran.
2 The old name of this island during the Sassanid era was "Abarkan" which means "big island".
3. From the Safavid period onwards, this island has been referred to as "Qeshm" or in the dialect of the coastal inhabitants "Kashm" in geographical and historical sources.
4. Qeshm Island covers an area of 1491 square kilometers, which is 2.5 times the second largest island in the Persian Gulf, Bahrain.
5. Qeshm Island is larger than 22 countries in the world.
6. It was in 2003 that all the lands of Qeshm Island became a free zone and the Free Zone Organization became responsible for managing it.
7. Since 2006, Qeshm has been divided into three central parts, Shahab and Hormoz. Also, according to the latest divisions of the country, this island includes 69 cities and villages.
8. The main language of the people of Qeshm, like all the people living in the ports and coasts of the south of the country and other islands, is Persian. The local and common dialect of the people of Qeshm in its cities and villages is almost the same. In general, the local language of Qeshmi is a mixture of Arabic, Persian, Bandari, Hindi and English.
9. The average temperature of Qeshm Island is about 26 degrees Celsius, with an average maximum and minimum daily temperature of 33 and 18 degrees Celsius.
10. The hottest times on this island are July 10 to September 10 and the coldest months are January and February. In Qeshm Island, the maximum and minimum absolute temperatures of 46 and 16 degrees Celsius have been recorded.
11. The average rainfall is about 155 mm with an average of about 13 days of rainfall per year and mainly in the months of November to April.
12. The most severe earthquake that occurred on the island was in 2005, which occurred with a magnitude of 4.6 Richter at a distance of 19 km from the port of "Dargahan".
13.There are about 12,000 palms in 890 hectares of Qeshm lands. Palm cultivation on this island has a long history. Up to 20 different types of dates are harvested from the palm trees of Qeshm Island.
14. The springs of Qeshm Island, which are scattered all over the island, have no fresh water and are mostly salty.
15. The first and most important plant community on the island is the mangrove forests, which cover more than 2,000 square kilometers of the island.
16. Qeshm Crocodile Park was established in 2010 as the first crocodile breeding and maintenance center in the Middle East on this island.
17. The first geopark in the country is located on Qeshm Island. Geopark is an area in which several prominent geological phenomena are located. In addition to geological phenomena, it may also have historical, ecological, archaeological, and other cultural and natural heritage sites.
18. Qeshm Island has a variety of mines such as salt, red soil and gas, which in particular in the past has led to the island's commercial prosperity and has provided part of the islanders' jobs.
19. Fishermen on Qeshm Island call the last day of July every year "Sayad Nowruz", which is the first day of the summer season. On Nowruz Sayad, none of the Qeshmi fishermen catch fish and other aquatic creatures and refuse to eat any fish.
20. Lenjazi is one of the oldest indigenous industries of Qeshm people in Hormozgan province.
Length making in Qeshm
21. Al-Kamal Qeshm Religious School, abbreviated to Kamali, is 300 years old in teaching religious issues and Islamic jurisprudence.
22. Qeshm Island universities have developed significantly in recent years. These universities are: Islamic Azad University, Qeshm Institute of Higher Education, which operates in collaboration with Carlton University of Canada, Payame Noor University, University of Applied Sciences of Water and Power Industry, International Branch of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences and Tehran University of Medical Sciences, International Branch .
23. Qeshm Island, as one of the sports hubs of Hormozgan province, has more than 50 clubs and sports categories that operate under the supervision of 120 coaches.
24. The traditional music of "Azwa" has been popular in Qeshm for a long time. People accompany the bride and groom home with this music. Members usually start in front of the market in the last hours of the wedding celebration and end at the bride's house. The performers of this traditional music walk this path with the groom.
25. In the end, it is interesting to know that the movie "Dragon Enters" was shot on Qeshm Island. Most of the film's locations are in the village of Chahkuh. Perhaps the most beautiful location of the film can be considered Chahkuh Valley of Qeshm.